Administrative Appeals

adminstrative-appeals-attorney-richmond-va-andrew-meyer-lawIf you are a state or local government employee, you may have certain rights if you are disciplined, demoted or fired. I have extensive experience with administrative appeals at the state and local level – whether the proceeding is governed by a local grievance procedure, the state grievance procedure, or the Law Enforcement Officers Procedural Guarantee Act (LEOPGA). Here are the types of administrative appeals I help my clients with:

  • City, County, and Town Grievances and Grievance Hearings – these types of proceedings are usually governed by a local procedure. If the locality has not adopted a grievance procedure, the locality will be subject to the state grievance procedure.
  • State Grievances and Grievance Hearings – these types of hearings are usually governed by the state grievance procedures, but in some instances, are governed by the LEOPGA.
  • Virginia Administrative Process Act Appeals – the Virginia Administrative Process Act provides for appeals when you or your business has been negatively impacted by a state regulation or agency decision.

Whether your administrative appeal is at the state or local level, I will represent your rights vigorously and fight as hard for you as possible to achieve the best possible outcome. Too often, people believe they have no right to counsel if they are attending a hearing. However, since administrative appeals are a due process right, you are entitled to competent legal assistance. You want an attorney who understands the administrative processes in Virginia and understands how to represent your interests in those proceedings. You want an attorney who will fight for the best possible outcome for your specific situation since no administrative appeal is the same as the next.

Your Rights During Hearings

Keep in mind, you have certain rights during these hearings. You have the right to:

  • Provide evidence in your favor
  • Have anyone providing information cross examined to ensure all facts are disclosed
  • Expect a swift and fair decision is made

When you are facing any type of grievance hearing or administrative appeal, contact me at (804) 358-2909 or email me for a case review.